14 March 2014

So What Makes An Expert

Maybe this is just me, but has anyone else noticed that becoming an expert has become the recent "thing"? I don't personally see anything wrong in becoming an expert, I myself am constantly trying to learn more and understand online media to one day be an expert, but do we use this term too loosely?

The definition of Expert as told by Merriam-Webster's Dictionary is as followed:
  • having or showing special skill or knowledge because of what you have been taught or what you have experienced
  • Experience
  • having, involving, or displaying special skills or knowledge derived from training or experience
From reading the basic definition, there seems to be a very common word: experience. An expert can be equated with experience, but it can also be from what you have been taught. In other words, schooling and experience can make you an expert. This seems a bit off to me.

With this type of logic, I can personally claim myself as an expert because I do have experience and schooling related to marketing and digital media. Do I consider myself an expert? Of course not! Why on earth would I consider myself an expert on that basis? I believe I do not have the level of experience nor have been taught the full amount to even come close to being an expert.

As I say this, do not think of me as being humble in claiming not to be an expert. I am only speaking the truth, but there are others that I know who consider me an expert when it comes to certain social media tools and creating strategy.

So where is the connect with this? What I mean is, how do I not consider myself an expert and others do?

The answer is simple: perception.

I do not perceive myself an expert, because of the people around me. I'm not comparing myself in a negative way, but more so that I am still in the student stage. I know that I have much to learn and that is why I follow some of the people I do on Twitter, subscribing to newsletters and receiving trade specific magazines. It is also the reason I want to continue my education by attending graduate school. This is not because I do not value the education that I have nor is it that I do not value my position, but I feel like there is so much more for me to learn. 

The reasons others may perceive me as an expert is because I have a passion for these very tools. Social media, content and editing all make me excited. Planning out and researching how to properly create a strategy is fun for me, while it may be boring for others. The way that I speak to people about certain topics and terms that I use make me seem like an expert.

So if I don't consider myself an expert, what are my specifications of an expert?

Any answer or list created is going to be exceptionally biased and my perception. But alas, this is my blog and I am going to give you my biased answer.

I can consider an expert someone who has had experience in the field, be unafraid of viewing other points of views, constantly is learning and willing to mentor.

This is what I consider the qualifications on being an expert. I keep seeing the ways on becoming an expert, but calling yourself an expert is not going to make you an expert.

But that's just my thought on the matter.

What are the qualifications that make an expert in your book?


No comments:

Post a Comment