17 March 2014

Old Enough to read Fairy Tales

Some day you will be old enough to start reading fairy tales again. - C.S. Lewis
I love fairy tales. If I am ever feeling down or just need an easy read to get my mind off of life, I pick up my book of fairy tales.

Some day you will be old enough to start reading fairy tales again. - C.S. Lewis
Fairy tales to me have never equated to just stories for children. There is a deeper meaning for each story and many lessons that come up more prominent as you become older.

I could give out examples and give an in-depth analysis on some of the lessons that are featured in each story, but I don't think that would be relevant with where Lewis is going when he said this.

There is something innocent and pure about fairy tales. There is also the fact that there is magic and for whatever reason when you become an adult, having that hint of magic is forbidden. It's like when you turn a certain age, it is no longer okay to be able to have an imagination and believe in the impossible.

For some odd reason as we grow up we turn into this (Robin Williams Character in Hook):


Williams' character lost his magic. He isn't old enough to be able to read fairy tales again.

I believe we should be more like this (Disney's Peter Pan II: Return to Neverland):


I want to be like Wendy in this scene. I personally don't ever want to lose the magic behind the fairy tales. There is just something about holding onto the magic that will forever keep you young and believing in the impossible.

I believe Lewis said this quote to somebody who just focused on being a "grown-up" who lost the magic. I believe he was warning them that if they don't believe now, then one day they may come back to these tales and realize that they have missed out of the magic all around them.

So, I believe I am old enough to read fairy tales. How about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment