30 June 2014

Not Merely to Survive, but to Live

"My mission in life is not merely to survive, but to thrive; and to do so with some passion, some compassion, some humor, and some style” -Maya Angelou
I absolutely love this quote and not just from the simple fact that Maya Angelou has impacted me in ways I cannot describe, but for the truth that it says.

"My mission in life is not merely to survive, but to thrive; and to do so with some passion, some compassion, some humor, and some style” -Maya Angelou
Far too often in my life, I meet people who are merely trying to survive. They are extending themselves to only the points on which they feel comfortable and living a passive life. It is the ease of getting through life and to be honest, it sounds dreadfully boring.

I want to live a life where I am constantly thriving to better myself, a life where I can be full of passion and be able to show this great compassion to those around me; a life where I can laugh and be joyful and to live a life with some flair! That is a life to be able to strive for.

So why do we choose to keep to the mundane? Why are we so reluctant to be able to strive to have a passionate life; a life worth living?

There are a numerous reasons in my opinion, but one that I believe encompasses them all: the fear of change.

From what I can tell from my observation of listening to people who are older then myself, the most interesting and fullfilling lives are the ones that have had many changes in them. Now some of these changes are external, but many of them are internal.

To be able to thrive, I highly believe that there has to be some type of struggle. Look at any piece of literature or movie and the characters have to go through some type of struggle to be able to grow and reach the ending. We as people are the exact same way.

Maybe that is why I find this quote so pertinent, because Maya Angelou herself faced many trials in her life. It would have been completely understandable if she would have timidly hid in a corner, but she didn't. In fact, she lived a life where she thrived in the good and bad times. She inspired many with the trials she went through by not dwelling in the negative and choosing to live a life worth living.

The fear of change or the struggle we will face will make life taste so much sweeter. Our passions will become stronger; we will care for each other stronger; we will be able to laugh harder; and we will be able to walk with an air about us, because we will be able to thrive to have the life worth living.

So, are you thriving in life? Are you living life with some passion, compassion, humor, and style? If not, then what's holding you back?

No comments:

Post a Comment