03 February 2014

Books will set us free


Sorry that this post is coming later than usual. Started my new job today and have been busy with setting things up.

Some books leave us free and some books make us free. ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

If you haven’t been able to tell by this point, I love books. Books are powerful; books cause you to think; books change lives.

I believe that each book you read can influence you. It does not matter whether this fiction or nonfiction, it will influence you.
Some books leave us free and some books make us free. ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Do you find that this quote is interesting? Emerson is restating the same statement with a different verb. Have you ever read a book that makes you free? Or a better way to put it, have you ever read a book that made you realize something that brought you to an aha moment?

I could list the books I have read, fiction and nonfiction, but I don’t want to do that. The point that I want to make is that books are vital because they can make us free.

How?

Well, like I said before, books can make you think. If you think then that can change mindsets, the changing mindset leads to people wanting to create change, this change can lead to revolution and revolutions can lead to different reforms. Books are dangerous and Emerson hits the nail on the head with this quote.

When people are forced to think, which is what books do, it makes people realize things about themselves and the world. It doesn’t just make change in the world, but it can make changes internally. There have been many books that have changed me internally, which has led me to change in different areas of my life. These books could have just left me free, but they made me free because I acted.

It is easy to let these books leave you feeling free, but it isn’t until you act when you can actually be free and change what is around you.

No comments:

Post a Comment