22 February 2014

Random Friday... I mean Saturday!

Slacker much? I think yes.

Well, at least when it has come to this blog lately.

For whatever reason I just have not been able to find the balance between blogging, work and trying to have a thing called life. But I seriously promise, like seriously promise I will try to make a bit more of an effort to write.

Anyway, this random "Friday" I feel compelled to write about something that I have been meaning to for a while: the topic of geeks.

If you haven't figure out by now, I am a geek. I am okay with the title and wear like a badge of honor. I enjoy reach dystopian novels, novels in general, watching movies (especially miniseries), fairy tales, science fiction (anything, literally anything), youtube (seriously, I totally geek out with certain vloggers and shows) and who doesn't love a super heroes. I am a geek and over the last couple years I have come to a place to where I enjoy this title.

But with my coming pride of my geekhood, it has been brought to my attention of the divide in the world of geek.

To me, being a geek about something or being a part of a fandom has brought this type of community that is difficult to explain. Once you find out that someone enjoys a certain topic or fandom, then you can talk for hours. You will be able to make suggestions to each other ( I have been told I need to watch Dr. Who for over a year now and as soon as I get time, when I'm on vacation, I will watch it).

But with this community comes the darker side of geekhood/fandom, the haters.

It really amazes me that people can be so mean to each other when you have so much in common. Seriously, haven't we all been picked on for being a geek about something? How can we, who have experienced this pain, bully each other? Doesn't anyone else find this so wrong and find that we need to fix this?

Even the idea of judging how big a fan someone is or if they started liking it when it got mainstream isn't right!

I know I was totally like that in theatre when I was in high school and look back on myself and think how big of a jerk I must have looked. Seriously, I should have been sharing my passion with my friends and instead of seeing if they past my criteria of being a "true theatre fan." Just thinking of that makes me want to vomit.

If we just put down our criteria of a "true geek" aside, wouldn't we all be happier; wouldn't we be able to happily debate about the ending of a book or be able to create awesome fan fiction or just be willing to be to jump to a new genre?

I hope one day we as geeks can move past the douchebag stage and all get along. If all the geeks of fandoms can't get along in the world, how can we expect anything else to get better?

No comments:

Post a Comment