17 February 2014

A room without books…that’s real?


A room without books is like a body without a soul. ~ Cicero

Anyone else get the impression that book hoarders use this quote on why they keep every book they purchase and just keep adding to the collection? Cause I may start having to quote this more often as my excuse on why my bookshelves start taking over everything.

But on a serious note…

Does anyone else ever find it strange when you meet someone who doesn’t own many books or doesn’t read books? And I’m not meaning having a full-blown library, I’m just meaning like a bookshelf of some books. When I see a house/apartment or any other living arrangement that could feasibly allow books and I don’t see any, it makes me worried.

See, I like Cicero, believe that books add soul to a room; books add characters and can bring warmth. If you haven’t figured out by this point, I love books and love showcasing my books as a way to embark on conversation of the literary sort.

Books in a room also say a lot about you as a person. It can provide an image of how you think, what you’re interested in, how you may potentially react to certain things, and so many other things. Books are unique and can add so much to a person and can add life to a room. A number of weeks ago I wrote about a Ralph Waldo Emerson quote about how books make us free, but in this case books add life to rooms because they invoke so much feeling.

Books are not just a bunch of paper bounded together or on a screen, but hold a soul that can bring people to life. Books are a type of trophy to showcase what adventures your mind has been on and where you hope to go. Books have these undertones that can help a person express themselves and release emotions that they may have built up inside.

So when I see a room/house without books I wonder if that person has ever been set free, because “a room without books is like a body without a soul.”

No comments:

Post a Comment