23 August 2014

Let's Have a Chat



I am sure you have seen this commercial at some point this summer. If you haven't seen it, watch the above video, because the next couple of Saturdays is going to be spring boarding off of this concept.

"Like A Girl"...

This  phrase has been on my mind since the first time I saw this commercial and have been debating on whether or not to write something about it. To be honest, I actually wasn't going to be writing about, until I went to this church carnival this past Sunday where a guy in his 30s harmlessly asked a little boy if he threw like his mom or his dad (the guy was in a dunk tank). What this 30 something year old guy wasn't deliberately meaning to be insulting women, but really he was implying that this little boy's mom can't throw and throws "like a girl." After hearing this, I became annoyed by this phrase.

Before I go on, I want to say that I am not being hypersensitive on this subject, which me even having to say this is utterly ridiculous, but I know there may be someone who reads this and is thinking that I am being too sensitive with this and... uhm... what's the phrase I'm looking for... Oh, "like a girl." I also want to clarify as well, that I know that women are built differently than a man and cannot perform athletically in the same way. My point of this is not about athletic ability or how each gender is built, but about a concept.

So that led me to believe that I really need to cover this concept of "like a girl," which also led me to believe that I need to cover some other areas as well.

Now if you have followed my blog, you know I label myself as a feminist. As I mentioned a feminist is someone who fights for equal rights for all sexes. That's the definition, yet people consider this such a negative label, which is no surprise that that use  of "like a girl" can be perceived by some as an insult.

 There is nothing wrong with standing up for your rights, having a voice, leading and bringing on change. Women have the rights to do anything a man can do. That's what I believe and I will have specifics in upcoming weeks.

If you couldn't tell, I am planning on writing a series on this, because I find it interesting how polarizing feminism is, especially how it is polarizing between women (another area I will be discussing in the next couple of weeks).

 Here's a tentative layout of what I will be doing the next number of Saturdays:

I plan on covering the idea of women in leadership, polarizing effects of feminism between women, perceptions that women often have (and how we continue to have these stereotypes stay alive), and a couple more that I have been debating whether I will write or not. I am not sure the exact order and there may be some weeks that have gaps, since I do want to ask some people I know what they think.

And yes, I will be trying to find people who have different perspectives on this subject manner than I do. I was speaking to a good friend of mine about this topic and she is absolutely correct that I can easily  skew this blog series to make one side look horrible and the other side look wonderful. I do not want to do this and hope to have equal representation on each side.

So that's all I have for this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment