11 August 2014

Show That We Care

Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot,
Nothing is going to get better. It's not. ~ Dr. Seuss The Lorax
 I loved reading The Lorax when I was younger, in fact I loved reading all of Dr. Seuss' works. It's only when I was older and was forced to look at the deeper meaning of his work when I was in high school for a honors English project.

As much as I could go into the deeper meaning with this particular story by Dr. Seuss, I'm just going to be focusing on the quote from the book.

Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot,
Nothing is going to get better. It's not. ~ Dr. Seuss The Lorax
I'm a part of a generation that has been taught to care about issues and to fight. Look at the literature that we have grown up on and that we are currently reading (Harry Potter, The Hunger GamesThe Giver, Divergent series, etc.). We have been surrounded and influenced by refusing to stay numb on subjects and choose to fight for the rights of others.

We have seen too many people who not care enough and the worst part is, when people refer to how future generations have to deal with the crap that they did, well, it's here. We are now having to deal with issues that have been specifically pushed aside and we are tired of having all these issues hidden.

This quote is relevant for every generation, since nothing will get better if we don't care. We cannot reach full equality, better health care, a cleaner environment and peace if we don't care. 

I don't think it is asking too much for people to start caring about the issues of the day. If we show that we care, then we can make the world a better place.

No comments:

Post a Comment