24 May 2014

My Flying Nemesis

Okay, the title may be a bit overly dramatic, but it's the only way I can describe what is to come in this post.

I guess it would be helpful to better define the creature that are the bane of my existence. It's mostly anything that has wings. More specifically birds and butterflies.

Yes, birds and butterflies are my enemies? Why? They honestly terrify me.

I know at this point you are questioning what caused these irrational fear of these two creatures that most people find enjoyment in?

I've thought long and hard to try to figure out why I irrationally fear ( or maybe it is more so to justify my fear) of birds and butterflies. So like every other type of blog I write, I am going to list out/share some anecdotes of on how this fear began.

Birds
  • I can't ever remember liking birds
  • Anecdote: When I was in Jr. High/Freshman in High school I was a part of cross country. Since I lived in an area that was flat, to get hill training we went to this man-made reservoir that had a path around the top. On the side of the hills, actually all parts of the reservoir was geese territory. Have you ever been chased and hissed at by a group of geese? Not a fun experience and unfortunately for my case, this happened a handful of times.  I was never bitten by one, but it did make me run fairly fast. So if you are ever with me and there are geese around, I will more than likely become very quiet, keep a close watch at them to make sure they don't attack. Seriously though, I freak out when I see geese. I'm sure to others this is a hysterical sight.
  • Also, when I see shadows of birds up above me, I duck and cover, because I believe every bird is going to go all kamikaze on me.
  •  There are other stories, but I think the goose story makes the me sound neurotic enough.
Butterflies 
  Before I explain this, I just want to preface by saying that this is a completely irrational fear. I get that, I do. I've also tried to get over it, but that proves a failure especially with my most recent experience with a butterfly. (Just so you know, as I am writing this I am laughing at myself, because I realize how stupid this fear is, but I honestly can't help it).
  • I don't like things flying by my head. Creatures flying by my head is just very unsettling to me and it's also something about the color of the wings. I understand that people find the wings very pretty, but I really don't prefer them at all.
  • I guess this fear escalated when my parents wanted to go through this botanical garden. I was in junior high and was never surrounded by butterflies so I never knew the effect that they had on me. Well, that's because I was never forced to be in a greenhouse full of butterflies. I started freaking out and ducking behind my brother. Of course having the loving family I have, they mercilessly made fun of me and my new found fear. On that day, I swore that I would never go in one of those again.
  • Once again, when I was in high school, I went into one of the greenhouse butterfly exhibits. I was not to happy at the suggestion, but begrudgingly went again. My reaction was the same. I freaked out.
  •  Now I thought that with me getting older that I would be able to get over this fear., but I was wrong. So I was driving home by myself a couple of weeks ago on a back road when it happened. It was a really nice day and I was in a really good mood. Then, all of a sudden, this butterfly gets stuck in my windshield wiper. I completely start freaking out even though I know it is outside of my car. I am frantically swearing and reaching for my switch to start my windshield wipers to get the butterfly off my car. Now this all happened in less than a minute. After my moment of freaking out, I stopped myself  and realized how stupid my fear is. Good that I noticed my fear, but bad that I am still freaking out.
So at the end of this, I have two super irrational fears that I honestly cannot control how I react to them. I have plenty of other stories of how I have been scared by birds and butterflies, but I would prefer to keep some of my neurosis hidden. 

No comments:

Post a Comment