19 May 2014

The Greatest of Faults

The greatest of faults, I should say, is to be conscious of none. ~ Thomas Carlyle
I am a person who constantly is evaluating myself. Whenever I am in certain situations and a thought like, "Man, I wish I did [insert thing I wish I had done here] before [insert situation]" it causes me to evaluate how to fix the mistake for the future.

There have been times when I have had some free moments, that I have evaluated what I can improve in my life. I am not sure why I have had this mindset, but at least once a year, I take a lot of time to see how I can improve aspects of my life (during the other time of the year it's more so just small noticings).

The greatest of faults, I should say, is to be conscious of none. ~ Thomas Carlyle
I find it valuable to be able to evaluate the areas of which a person needs to improve on. It really is a major way to accomplish personal growth and that is why consciously ignoring your faults is one of the greatest faults.

Where personal growth is difficult is when people are unwilling to be conscious of any faults. It is having this complex that you are perfect and nothing needs to change in your life. Another way of phrasing it is being complacent with the way life is and deliberately choosing to be ignorant.

Maybe this has been too relevant to me, because I have been dealing with people who are like this for the past 5 years. They believe they have been doing everything correctly while making these huge and I mean HUGE mistakes and they are ignoring them. It is utterly frustrating, because they are letting pettiness get in the way of accomplishing greatness.

Consciously ignoring your faults aren't just holding you back from personal growth, but achieving greatness. And I don't mean greatness like the ones where you are recognized on a large scale, but that cliche of being all that you can be.

Part of the reason why I evaluate myself often is because I want to grow and constantly improve. This is not connected to some other person's standards, but my own standards of not wanting to be complacent in where I am as a person. I know I can achieve great things, but the only way I can do this is by acknowledging my faults and then challenging myself to grow from them.

I believe that we need to be constantly in growth and to be able to grow you need to be able to face the facts that you need to recognize personal faults.  It is a hard process to go through and typically there are times of denial. Actually, more than often, there will be a time of denial that will be a pain to deal with.

So take the time to acknowledge those faults and realize the potential for growth in your life. Don't wallow in the fact that you have faults, we all do, but instead make the choice to grow.


No comments:

Post a Comment