19 January 2015

Change the world by starting with yourself

“Yesterday I was clever, so I wanted to change the world. Today I am wise, so I am changing myself.” ~ Rumi
Change, in my humble opinion, is one of the most controversial words a person can say. Change is a word that so many people will fight against, because it insights new patterns and shifts perceptions. Even with the constant push back on it, change will always happen.

There will be some natural progression of change and then some man-made movements of change. I personally enjoy following up with the man-made movements of change, because I like learning about the human-condition and why people do the things they do and feel passionate about certain topics.

Anyway, people are determined to change the world because they see injustice in the world. This is a perfectly understandable reason on demanding change in the world, because we should fight against injustice.

But with this idea of changing the world, are we choosing the change ourselves?

The wise thing to do is to change ourselves before we even take the endeavor of changing our surroundings. Before going too much farther I want to distinguish the fact that we as humans will never reach the perfect level of self-awareness. What I am meaning is constantly evaluating our motives and our thoughts.

What I used to do every couple of months is to take time to self-evaluate myself. I would take a personal inventory of myself and determine whether I was where I wanted to be. This evaluation helps me grow in deep ways. When you start writing out things or listing things about your life, it is amazing how deep you can get. You start realizing where your priorities are and personally, it inspires me to change parts of myself. Once making these personal changes, this new mentality starts to overflow in other aspects of my life. It’s absolutely wonderful and refreshing. The process can be painful if done correctly, because you have to call yourself out on the crap that you are doing. It is being accountable to yourself and the inner change and lead to an enlightened mindset.

So if you want to help change the world, start with yourself and it be easier to help bring change to the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment