08 May 2013

Video Games lead to Deep Thoughts

So last night I refused to write my final paper for one of my classes and had just finished watching my Tuesday night shows (I love New Girl and The Mindy Project. Two AWESOME shows!!!) and had some time to kill before watching Letterman, so I did what every soon to be graduate does, I chose to do the most non-adult thing to do: Play Video Games.

I hooked up my old PS2, yep kicking it old school, and brought out a game I think I have beaten 4 or 5 times already (A proud accomplishment on my nerd card) and continued on a path for beating the game again. I'm sure you are wondering what game I was playing, so I'll tell you.

Yep, I play Quidditch World Cup in my free time on my PS2. I honestly can't tell you how long I have had this game, but I just keep going back to it, because who doesn't want to pretend that they are in the world of Harry Potter and play Quidditch.(BTW, I'm currently playing as the French National Team and I love the brooms they ride on.)

Now, you are probably wondering why I'm blogging about this (seriously, if you read this blog and haven't figured out that I am one of the most random bloggers ever and have no rhyme or reason for my blogs and are thinking that I won't explain why I'm blogging this, then you are the crazy one. I always explain my random thoughts!)
So anyway, it got me thinking how much I loved Harry Potter and the world and community it created. There are so many people who love the books and movies and it seriously took up so much of my childhood.
For example, I read the first Harry Potter book when I was in 4th grade because my oldest brother gave me his copy of the book after he finished reading it. I fell in love with the book and the series and then had long discussions with friends about details in the books and pretending we were a part of the books (I think the majority of the people in my generation did this and if you say you didn't then I'm calling BS!!!).
I even remember staying up really late to go and pick up Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix with my best friend. I still have the picture hanging in my room with she and I holding our newly purchased books with huge beaming smiles (and still to this day we still bring up the story of how we were in the front of the line and tried to stay up late reading the book).  That was the first time I ever stood in line to get the newest thing that was highly anticipated and actually thinking about it, that was the last time (Now I just pre-order things that I want to just avoid the lines. I kind of miss that excite of standing in line honestly).

Anyway, I have read and watched many blogs/vlogs about how Harry Potter changed a generation and I think it did. I really think it helped create a form of creativity that many of us hold on to and struggle with when you are dealing with people who try to stifle it. This creativity lead to fanfiction and hours of discussing everything Harry Potter and trying to get into Rowling's head.

BUT, what I appreciate the most in the Harry Potter series is the hope that it contains. I mean, look at the entire books series, it contains so much hope that good will prevails and that friendship will forever champion over the evil things in this world. Call me a fool, but I believe in this and believe that people should have hope.

So while I play my Quidditch game, I think of everything that Harry Potter brought to my life. I think of how it brought me super close to friends; how it taught me love reading; how it taught me to never doubt the magic in myself or in others; how it taught me to find that glimmer of hope even in the darker times and how it taught me that nothing is impossible. That's why I believe so many people are joining organizations like The Harry Potter Alliance, which follows the example of Dumbledore’s Army and fights for social justice. I personally subscribe to their email alerts and love to follow what they are doing. You know a book impacts people so much that they take the pact so seriously that they make an organization about it to fight things with love (Which is a huge thing in the series. Do I have to remind you of Lily's sacrifice?).

So I may be a soon to be graduate who plays a Quidditch video game, but I'm playing it because it reminds of all the great lessons related to one of my favorite books series that taught me so much about life.

No comments:

Post a Comment