27 November 2009

Thought Provoking

So I shall just come out with it and say the question for this post since I am not in the particular mood to make a setting for the question. Have you ever had a person question everything that you stood for and believe in and you can tell that they are really hurting inside and know that you can do nothing to help them?
No surprise, if you have read this before, I have experienced this type of person. It is rather frustrating at times when dealing with this type of a person especially if you are related to them. Showing love and understanding is even harder.
I love my family, but a certain sibling is causing a lot of grief, since they like to always cause debates. They were just about to leave when this heated debate came up. I was fearful about it since I knew it would be another half an hour before they would leave. So by the time they had actually left, I was angry as can be and had no outlet. I just walked around the backyard for a little bit to let some steam out and then came back in and talked to my parents. My parents brought up many points about why my sibling was probably acting in this way.
So now the lesson of this random story is now coming. My sibling always was a debater, always trying to prove a point and always showing that they were right even if they were wrong. These actions show an insecurity and a true weakness.
The thought provoking idea was this: If you have to flaunt you intelligence and try to prove that your opinion is correct, then one would have to assume that the opposite is true. Showing off is not a way to gain respect, but to lose it. I was starting to like my sibling again until they started a debate for no reason. True intelligence is when you know when to interject a comment or a statement that can help in a conversation, not just to shout out opinions and random facts. The latter puts people off and makes them think less of you. So the next you want to just yell out an opinion or are trying to make yourself seem smarter,think before you do or someone will lose respect for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment