22 February 2010

The Paper

So I am currently enrolled in an English course here at school. Some of the days are more enjoyable then others, but overall it is an interesting course.
The course this quarter is all about depressing topics, which I don't necessarily like since it is the winter. Also, reading about depressing topics on gloomy gray days is not good for one's emotional stability.
Anyway, the paper. This section that we are on is on trauma and the unsaid. We had to read a graphic novel called "Maus" which I highly recommend. The book is a biography of a survivor of the Holocaust and it makes one look at this time period in a different way then ever before. I personally think that it makes it more realistic.
But once again, the paper. For some odd reason this graphic novel reminded me of my grandfather's story and inspired me to write a paper on him. At first this just seemed like a simple thing to do since I knew a lot about him. Then today, after the meeting I had with my professor about my topic, I realized how much I had left unsaid about my grandfather and his death.
This once paper that I thought was going to be simple is now turning into something that makes me want to honor him, even though I sometimes didn't feel a connection with him. I shall forever love my grandfather but this paper will lay my trauma and the unsaid in my life to sleep. This paper is to honor him and to release him from me.

No comments:

Post a Comment